As the country observes the Fire Prevention Month, the former mayor of Valenzuela City rushed to the aid of over 2,500 families who were displaced in the recent surge of fire incidents in two cities in Metro Manila.
Valenzuela City Congressman Win Gatchalian conducted two separate relief operations in the cities of Malabon
and Manila in cooperation with Valenzuela City Social Welfare and Development Office or CSWDO.
Gatchalian personally handed over relief good packages, containing five kilos of rice, to at least 500 families that were affected by a fire break out in Malabon City on March 23.
He also rushed to aid the families living in around 250 houses, which were razed at Brgy. Tonsuya in Malabon, which killed two senior citizens and displacing at least 500 families.
At least 50 families were also left homeless in the same city after around 25 houses were caught on fire in Brgy. Catmon also in Malabon on March 14.
Malabon City Mayor Antolin “Len Len” Oreta III thanked former Valenzuela City mayor for helping the affected families of the recent fires in Metro Manila.
Aside from Malabon, Gatchalian also gave relief goods to more than 2,000 families at the Del Pan Sports Complex, Binondo in Manila on March 7.
Together with Manila City Mayor Joseph Estrada, Gatchalian also distributed packs of rice to each member of the family that were affected by a fire incident in Parola Compound in Tondo on March 4, which allegedly started from an electric short circuit and lasted for 12 hours.
During the relief operations in Manila, Gatchalian told residents to watch out and report immediately to authorities instances of faulty electrical wiring within their vicinity to avoid fire outbreaks.
He also reminded residents to stop the use of illegal jumper cable, which is one of the primary cause of fire incidents.
“Kung may mga cable ng kuryente sa lugar niyo na delikado ang position at na tingin niyo pwedeng pagmulan ng apoy, maari lang po na i-report niyo na ito sa barangay para maagapan ang sunog,” he said.
“Isa sa mga dahilan ng faulty electrical wiring ang mga jumper sa kuryente. Napadelikado po nito. Kaya naman tigil-tigilan na natin ang paggamit nito dahil hindi biro ang buhay at ari-arian na nawawala tuwing nagkakasunog,” he explained. (Camille Nepomuceno)